Friday, 3 May 2013

Who's who In Kenyan Fashion: KIPUSA CLOTHING


KIPUSA

What's your name?
Ann Mpinga


Why did you choose to design?

I fell in love with fashion when I was young. I used to make clothes for my dolls and my mom had a hard time keeping me away from her sewing kit. When I got older, I knew I wanted to be in the creative industry. however I hadn't quite figured out what way I wanted to channel my creativity. I ended up pursuing media studies and have a Bachelors Degree in social Communications, majoring in Radio Production. 
I worked in Nairobi and Ethiopia and for a while forgot about fashion as I needed to focus on my media career which was quite demanding. It was a while I was living in Addis Ababa that I started getting interested in pursuing fashion again. It started off with me designing dresses for myself, to wear to functions.
My very last work assignment before returning to Nairobi was serving as Project Director for Hub of Africa Fashion Week. This was when the love really grew and after such a successful event, i knew that the next time I was part of a fashion show, it would be because I was showcasing my collection. I started Kipusa in May 2011 and I've never looked back :)


What is your inspiration?

I get inspired by so many things, my faith, Beautiful flowers, textured fabric, prints, curves! Personality/Designer-wise, it would be Lisa Folawiyo of Jewel by Lisa,  her work is simply flawless and the cuts are simple yet sophisticated. Just like me she has no formal training in fashion, she is actually a lawyer by training who turn her clothing line into one of the most coveted luxury brands by an African designer


Do you generate income?

Yes I do, it sustains my business, this is what I do full time


What's Kipusa's Style?

My style is bold, young and fun. I create styles that young people appreciate and older people also feel comfortable and stylish wearing. I love colour, I love experimenting with different fabrics and texture. I love taking risks!


Who is your customer?

I would say it's the woman in her early 20's all the way into the woman in her 60's. I have both local and international clients. I love dressing curvy women too, some of my most memorable moments hve been when showcasing using plus size models.


Have you showcased before?

Yes I showcased at the 2nd edition of Hub of Africa Fashion Week in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (April 2012), FAFA Insight Emerging Designer Competition (June 2012) and Nigeria Fashion Week (Nov 2012)


How do we find you?

Facebook page: Kipusa
Website: www.kipusaclothing.com
Email: kipusaclothing@gmail.com or anne@kipusaclothing.com
The photos are randomly selected, and everyone will be able to see more photos on my website (which goes live, April 5th) and also on my Facebook page

1 comment: